Getting to Meteora by bus
The vast majority of people searching to find information for how to travel by bus around Greece don’t know that every prefecture of Greece has its own bus company generally known as KTEL [name of prefecture] Bus Company. And although these companies have formed a dense network of bus lines connecting almost every place around Greece, any foreigner who wishes to use it soon will realize that to find a meaningful way to organize a trip from point A to point B via a bus, it will be like trying to solve a puzzle with many of its pieces gone missing!
If you wish to find more information about Greek public buses you can also read our blog post on “How to travel by bus around Greece“
From Athens to Meteora by bus
Getting a bus to Meteora from Athens is a bit trickier than getting the train. The central bus terminal in Athens from where buses depart to Trikala and Meteora is located near Kato Patissia (green line) station, named Liossion. There are a few ways to reach it.
- From any metro line, change at Monastiraki station and get into the Greenline heading to Kifissia. Get off at Kato Patisssia station and either walk about 1km to the bus station or get a taxi to get you there. The taxi should cost 3.20 Euro plus any extra charges for arriving at a bus station but it won’t go over 5 Euro.
- If you are going to get a taxi then you should tell the driver to get you to Liosion Station and not Athens bus station.
At Liossion bus terminal, you should get a bus to Trikala, which is the big city near Kalampaka and Meteora.
Once you get to Trikala you can catch a bus to Kalampaka.
Liosion Bus Terminal Location
Here you could find the time schedules for busses;
- For busses look here.
Be aware of Greece’s public holidays and general strikes. Some of the dates that are better avoid traveling by public transports are the following;
- 1st of May (general strike for trains)
- Orthodox Easter holiday
- New Years Eve
- 28th October and 25th March (public holidays)
- 17th November (general strike)
From Thessaloniki to Meteora by bus
Getting a bus from Thessaloniki to Meteora is as easy as it is getting a train! Again, there are two ways you can reach the bus station (KTEL), public busses and taxi.
Getting to the bus station from the airport is probably the easiest thing is Thessaloniki, as public bus line 78 (or 78N at night) starts at the airport and ends at the bus station. So just hop on and enjoy the ride! If you are not going to the bus station from the airport, other lines that can get you there are: 1, 8, 12, 45, 80, 81, 82A, 82B, 82E, 82K, 89A, 89B.
At the bus station, you should get a bus to Trikala, which is the big city near Kalampaka and Meteora. Once you get to Trikala you can catch a bus to Kalampaka.